Ginger is a hot fragrant spice that works effectively as a remedy for an upset stomach. It gets rid of the discomfort in your abdomen that is a common symptom for so many people.
In the article below you will find some methods that have been shown to cure an upset stomach, all of which use the healing spice of ginger.
Is Ginger Good for an Upset Stomach?
Ginger contains the following properties which makes it effective in treating an upset stomach.
- Ginger contains anti-inflammatory properties that helps to increase the digestive juices and neutralizes the stomach, giving relief from an upset stomach and stomach pain.
- It contains strong anti-oxidants called gingerols and shogaols, both of which decrease the free radicals production and the damage they do to the body. It also helps to relax the intestinal tract and which can give instant relief.
- It helps the food flow smoothly through the digestive tract by allowing better absobtion of nutrients.
- It will effectively eliminate any extra gas from the intestinal tract.
- It stimulates the production of saliva, bile, gastric juices, etc. which aids in better digestion and prevent gas.
- It relaxes muscles and relieves cramping that lessens the chance of backed up food in the digestive system.
- It improves blood circulation by boosting blood flow and reducing inflammation.
Ginger for Upset Stomach Treatment:
Try these popular methods at home to help you get rid of an upset stomach.
This process is used to treat stomach gas, stomach ache and upset stomach and gas problems.
- Eat 1 gram of freshly peeled ginger per day.
- You could also add ginger as a spice in your food to get relief from upset stomach.
- Cut fresh ginger into slices. Sprinkle salt on every piece. Chew these as often as possible.
- This ginger can also be taken in the form of pills, ginger ale or tincture etc.
- Candied, chews or crystallized ginger can help with car sickness. Making sure that the products you pick contain pure ginger, not just flavourings.
2. Ginger Salad Dressing
- Mix 1/4 teaspoon of grated ginger, a tablespoon of soy sauce (tamari), 2 tablespoons of rice vinegar, 4 tablespoons of raw sesame oil and a smashed clove of garlic.
- Use this as salad dressing regularly.
3. Ginger Juice, Lemon Juice and Salt
- Mix 2 teaspoons of ginger juice, a teaspoon of lemon juice and a pinch of table salt or black salt.
- Consume this with or without water.
- Take when you feel the symptoms coming on.
4. Candied Ginger
- Slice fresh ginger into 1/2 –inch thick pieces.
- Dip these into honey.
- Add a little butter and cook it for 3 – 5 minutes over low heat on a skillet.
- Transfer onto a cookie sheet and allow it to cool and harden for about 30 – 40 minutes.
- Consume regularly.
5. Crystallized Ginger
- Peel 2 fist –sized pieces of fresh ginger (1 – 2 lbs) and cut into thin slices.
- Add enough water to ginger in a pot and heat over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil and simmer, partly covered, for 20 minutes.
- Let it cool and drain. Make sure to keep the water.
- Now add equal quantities of cooked ginger slices and sugar in that pan along with 1/4 cup of extracted water and a pinch of salt.
- Boil for few minutes over medium heat till it becomes thick syrup.
- Separate the slices and dry them on a rack (overnight or 7 – 10 hours).
- Coat these with the sugar mixture and store it an airtight container in a refrigerator (for longer storage time)
- Eat this regularly.
6. Ginger with Carrot Soup
- Pour 2 cups of water into a saucepan and heat it for few minutes to boiling point.
- Add 4 teaspoons of minced fresh ginger and 1 ½ cup of baby carrots.
- Mix and cover, cook over a medium heat for 20 – 25 minutes.
- Let it cool before blending to a liquid.
- Stir in buttermilk and salt.
- Consume as often as you feel the need.
Ginger Tea for Upset Stomach:
Drinking ginger tea will help to give relief not only from an upset stomach, but also other stomach problems like cramps, nausea, bloating, stomach aches and gas.
7. Ginger Tea
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger to a cup of hot water.
- Stir it well and steep it for 3 – 5 minutes
- Strain the tea and add honey or sugar to taste.
- Drink twice a day.
- This process also used to cure the stomach pain, stomach gas, upset stomach and gas.
- Peel the skin off 1-inch of fresh ginger root.
- Cut into thin slices.
- Pour 2 cups of water into a pan.
- Bring to the boil.
- Add the ginger and cover. Reduce the heat to simmer for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Optionally, you can add cinnamon sticks and/or honey or lemon for additional benefits and flavour.
- You should feel relief within 10 – 15 minutes.
8. Ginger Tea Bag
- Fill a mug with water and microwave for 2 – 4 minutes.
- Place a tea bag of ginger tea in it.
- Let it steep for about 5 minutes or longer for more strength.
- Remove the tea bag and add 3 drops of lemon juice.
- Sip this ginger tea slowly to get relief from upset stomach.
9. Ginger and Black Tea Leaves
- Boil 3 ¼ cups of hot water and 1/2 cup of finely chopped fresh ginger.
- Add 2 tablespoons loose black tea leaves, stir and cover.
- Allow it to sit for about 3 – 5 minutes.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of evaporated milk and 1/2 cup of sweetened condensed milk.
- Pour through a sieve into a blender and blend until foamy.
- Drink this tea.
10. Ginger, Lemon and Honey Tea
This combination will work well in curing the upset stomach as ginger stimulates digestion, lemon is alkalinizing and honey is soothing.
- Bring 2 cups of water to the boil.
- Add a 1-inch piece of fresh ginger root (peeled and sliced thinly or ground), two 1 –inch pieces of lemon peel and juice of half a lemon.
- Mix all the ingredients well and simmer it for about 5 – 10 minutes.
- Add honey to sweeten.
11. Ginger with Sage Tea
- Mix 1/2 teaspoon of dried sage, 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger and a teaspoon of sugar and add to a cup of boiling water.
- Cover the cup.
- Allow it to steep for about 5 – 7 minutes.
- Strain the tea and drink it slowly.
12. Ginger Juice
- Peel some fresh ginger and cut it into thin slices.
- Add 2 – 3 cups of sugar and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for about 4 – 6 hours and allow it to cool.
- Drink half a cup a few times a day or add a few spoonfuls to your tea.
Does Ginger Ale help Upset Stomach?
Natural ginger ale is full of medical compounds of ginger root with sugar and carbonation of soda, all of which help to calm an upset stomach. Ginger ale is an organic soft drink that causes carbonation to relieve pain and discomfort. The air bubbles cause an alleviating effect that calms the upset stomach. Ginger ale with water or fruit juice helps to replenish and restore the fluids in the body during intense upset stomach.
13. Ginger Ale for Upset Stomach Treatment:
You can prepare ginger ale at home by using below methods.
Method – 1: (Ginger Ale)
- Steep one cup of finely chopped ginger in 2 cups of warm water for about 5 minutes.
- Let it cool for 20 – 25 minutes and then strain.
- Boil a cup of sugar in a cup of boiling water to make syrup.
- Mix 1/2 cup of the ginger water, 1/3 cup of the sugar syrup and 1/2 cup of club soda.
- Squeeze a lemon wedge for additional flavor.
- Mix it well and enjoy the ginger ale to get relief from the upset stomach.
14. Old-Fashioned Process
Ingredients: 1 cup of sugar, 2 tablespoons of freshly grated ginger root, 1/4 teaspoon of fresh granular baker’s yeast, juice of 1 lemon and water.
- Add the sugar to a bottle then the baker’s yeast through funnel.
- Shake to mix.
- Mix the ginger roots and lemon juice together and add to the bottle.
- Pour fresh water in bottle and put the cap and shake the bottle well to activate the yeast.
- Fill with more water to the bottle’s neck and shake again.
- Place this ale in warm location for about 24 – 48 hours.
- Squeeze the bottle forcefully with the thumb to see if it is carbonated.
- If it dents then it is not ready yet and wait for some time to get fermentation.
- Once the bottle feels hard to squeeze, place this in the refrigerator.
- Drink as often as you need.
Ingredients: 1 ½ ounces of finely grated fresh ginger, 3/4 cup of sugar, 7 ½ cups of filtered water, 1/8 teaspoon of active dry yeast and 2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Add ginger, sugar, 1/2 cup of water to a saucepan over a medium heat.
- Stir the mixture for few minutes until the sugar has completely dissolved.
- Cover it and allow it to steep for an hour off the heat.
- Strain the syrup through fine mesh strainer.
- Press to get all the essential juices out the mixture then place in the refrigerator until it reaches room temperature (20 – 22 degree C).
- Place a funnel on the top of a bottle and pour this solution into it.
- Add the yeast, lemon juice and remaining water.
- Shake well to mix.
- Leave for about 40 – 48 hours. Make sure it is carbonated.
- Keep refrigerated and consume when needed.
15. Ginger Beer For Stomach Upset:
1. Ginger Beer
Ginger beer is a non-alcoholic beer that gives relief from many problems like upset stomach, acid indigestion, heartburn, GERD, nausea, etc.
- Pound 4 oz of dried ginger root using meat tenderizer.
- Boil in 1/2 gallon of water then remove from the heat.
- Mix a packet of dry yeast with the juice of a lemon and then add this to a cup of warm water.
- Pour the two mixtures together.
- Add another half gallon of water to the solution and leave it to brew for 24 hours.
- Strain to remove the ginger root and add sugar as per your taste.
- Dissolve the sugar completely and refrigerate.
- Consume when needed.
2. Homemade Sugar Free Ginger Beer
- Grate or dice 2 tablespoons of fresh ginger finely.
- Put in a small jar and add a squeeze of a lemon.
- Allow it to soak for an hour.
- Strain the juice into a jar.
- Add seltzer water to fill up the jar and add a sweetener of your choice (Xylitol and aspartame both taste good with ginger beer)
- Drink as and when you want.
3. Jamaican Ginger Beer
- Wash 3/4 lb of ginger root and cut into small pieces.
- Blend 3 cups of water, cup of sugar and ginger.
- Keep in a dark, dry place for about 24 hours.
- Strain the mixture and add water to bring it up to 2 quarts.
- Add 2 ounces of lime juice and 2 cups of sugar.
- Mix and drink to get relief.
16. Ginger for Upset Stomach and Gas:
Ginger contains anti-inflammatory properties that help to ease the inflammation and gives relief from the indigestion and hyper acidity.
1. Ginger Juice
- Mix a teaspoon of freshly grated ginger to a teaspoon of lime juice.
- Take immediately after eating.
- Do this regularly.
- Mix ginger juice and sugar in a glass of warm water.
- Drink this juice to get rid of bloating and flatulence.
- Alternatively rub ginger and essential oil mixed with any carrier oil on your stomach.
2. Ginger with Black Pepper, Mint Leaves and Coriander Seeds
- Grind ginger powder, black pepper, dried milt leaves and coriander seeds of equal quantity to make a fine powder.
- Take this a teaspoonful of powder twice a day for fast relief.
- Repeat this process regularly.
Tips and Precautions to Treat Upset Stomach Using Ginger:
Follow these tips and warnings for best results.
- Consult with a healthcare professional before using ginger tea regularly if you suffer from heart problems, diabetes, ulcers and bleeding disorder.
- Breast feeding women should avoid taking it.
- Taking large amounts of fresh ginger may irritate the mouth, oesophagus and stomach.
- Carbonated drinks like ginger ale should be taken flat and drink ginger tea that is caffeine free.
- Avoid ginger ale if you’re hyperglycaemic, unable to consume sugary beverages, are experiencing an allergic reaction, nausea or heartburn. Only consume 4 grams or less of ginger. Consuming more than this can lead to many health problems.
- Try other pure ginger products like candies, capsules, pills, tincture, etc. as an alternative.
Have you tried any of these methods? Do you know any other methods to get rid of the upset stomach? Please share your experience with us.
Ginger, a member of the plant family that includes turmeric and cardamom, has been proven to be effective at treating nausea and vomiting — two hallmarks of a classic upset stomach. In fact, ginger is even used to treat morning sickness, muscle pain and menstrual pain.Does Canada Dry ginger ale help upset stomach? ›
Sadly, Canada Dry doesn't help upset stomachs, and here's why: While it makes for a delicious casual beverage, Canada Dry is almost pure sugar and carbonation (unlike ginger beer). Looking at the ingredients on the label, there's no real ginger included.Is ginger ale Good for stomach inflammation? ›
Research has shown that unadulterated ginger has been linked to anti-inflammatory benefits, which can help you when you're feeling queasy. Many in the health industry have also used ginger as a holistic solution to aid with digestion issues.Is Coke or ginger ale better for an upset stomach? ›
You can also drink noncaffeinated sodas, such as Sprite, 7UP or ginger ale. Take care to avoid caffeinated sodas, since caffeine can make your upset stomach worse. The carbonation from sodas inflates the stomach while increasing its internal pressure.What is the best thing to drink for a stomach ache? ›
Clear, non-caffeinated sodas such as 7-Up, Sprite or ginger ale. Diluted juices such as apple, grape, cherry or cranberry (avoid citrus juices) Clear soup broth or bouillon.How do you calm an upset stomach? ›
- Drinking water. ...
- Avoiding lying down. ...
- Ginger. ...
- BRAT diet. ...
- Avoiding smoking and drinking alcohol. ...
- Avoiding difficult-to-digest foods. ...
- Lime or lemon juice, baking soda, and water. ...
The hospital did what caregivers have done for thousands of years: Reach for ginger root as an anti-emetic. When ginger ale was invented in the mid-19th century, it quickly became a bedside staple among people suffering from various causes of nausea and vomiting.What's the best ginger ale for upset stomach? ›
Since ginger root is what can help to alleviate discomfort, seek out a brand made with real ginger root, even ginger beer would be a better option. While the age-old ginger ale will always be a classic remedy, you can also try sipping on this honey-lemon ginger tea to calm your stomach.Does Canada Dry ginger ale have real ginger in it? ›
“Canada Dry Ginger Ale has always been made using real ginger extract to provide its ginger flavour,” she said.Why does Sprite settle your stomach? ›
Sprite is a carbonated, lemon-lime-flavored soft drink that is believed to help soothe an upset stomach because of its mild flavor and carbonation. Carbonation is the bubbles in the beverage which help to relieve feelings of bloating and gas.
Gingerol, a natural component of ginger root, benefits gastrointestinal motility ― the rate at which food exits the stomach and continues along the digestive process. Eating ginger encourages efficient digestion, so food doesn't linger as long in the gut.” Nausea relief.What is the best tea for upset stomach and diarrhea? ›
Chamomile tea is light, flavorful, and often considered one of the most soothing types of tea. It's often used to relax your digestive muscles and treat issues like gas, indigestion, motion sickness, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea ( 29 ).
How do you get rid of a stomach ache in five minutes? Using a heating pad is usually the quickest route to relieving a stomach ache. Place the heating pad over your abdomen and sit with it to help relax the stomach muscles.Is yogurt good for an upset stomach? ›
Yoghurt is rich in probiotics or good bacteria and yeasts that help maintain good gut health. Having a little yoghurt during a stomach upset may help relieve diarrhoea.Why is my stomach gurgling and diarrhea? ›
Borborygmi are caused by the movement of fluid and gas through your digestive tract. They commonly occur alongside diarrhea due to increased muscular contractions and spasms of the intestines. It's likely that many people with COVID-19 and diarrhea also develop borborygmi.Why does Sprite help when sick? ›
Patients have to drink water and clear fluids to replenish lost fluids. Ginger. But the idea that they're good for upset stomachs derives from Ginger Ale, which sprite and 7up are similar too. A carbonated beverage like sprite cause you to burp and helps in eliminating the internal distress and discomfort.Does Schweppes ginger ale have real ginger in it? ›
Pepper Snapple Group, which owns Canada Dry and Schweppe's (another brand of ginger ale), says the sodas do contain real ginger, but the company won't reveal how much to protect proprietary formulas.Why does ginger ale help after throwing up? ›
It's true that ginger has anti-inflammatory properties, says registered dietitian Sharon Richter, RD. And studies have found that ginger can help ease pregnancy nausea and postoperative nausea and vomiting.Is Canada Dry ginger ale good for you? ›
Is Canada Dry Ginger Ale good for you? Despite the popular assumption that ginger ale might help ease an upset stomach or cure nausea, the sweet dry ginger ale drink has no health or nutritional benefits.Which ginger ale is best Schweppes or Canada Dry? ›
Though its color is nearly indistinguishable from Canada Dry, Schweppes is a little less fizzy with a more muted taste. But for a rumbling stomach, or that one night of the week you're skipping the beers, a crisp, old-school ginger-ale like Schweppes really hits the spot.
Use a clear liquid diet to reduce the feeling of nausea. Liquids such as apple juice, cranberry juice, lemonade, fruitades, broth, Gatorade®, ginger ale, 7-Up®, popsicles, gelatin, tea, or cola are usually well tolerated. Sip liquids slowly.Is warm or cold ginger ale for upset stomach? ›
Turns out, the gas from the bubbles and the cold temperature are doing your stomach no favors. Warm, flat ginger ale is a better option — because, really, it's the ginger itself that helps.What brand of ginger ale contains real ginger? ›
Think ginger ale and you probably think Canada Dry. The iconic brand has been around for more than 100 years. In the U.S., it far outsells any other competitor. A decade ago, the company behind it began boasting it was “Made from Real Ginger” in a campaign aimed at wooing health-conscious consumers.What brand Gingerale has real ginger in it? ›
Reed's Real Ginger Ale
This all-natural beverage is made with real ginger and no artificial ingredients.
Seagram's Ginger Ale is made with real ginger for a crisp, clean refreshing ginger ale taste. Caffeine-free.What does Canada Dry ginger ale help with? ›
Many commercial ginger ales contain little ginger and a lot of added sugar, but some traditional varieties contain real fermented ginger root. Ginger may offer benefits for heart health, headaches, and nausea, as well as antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.Is warm or cold ginger ale better for an upset stomach? ›
Turns out, the gas from the bubbles and the cold temperature are doing your stomach no favors. Warm, flat ginger ale is a better option — because, really, it's the ginger itself that helps.